Friday, April 22, 2011

poetry and prayer on Good Friday

I subscribed to Garrison Keillor's Writer's Almanac, a daily newsletter that highlights historical events and provides a brief biography of a few notable people born on that day. I subscribed just in time for my all time favorite poet Louise Gluck's birthday (today!). I got so excited when I opened my email and one of her poems was the first entry in the newsletter. It makes me happy that other people have also started the day with a Louise Gluck poem, perhaps being exposed to her work for the first time. If you are interested, here is a list of some of them. Pick one and read. Many of the poems from her book The Wild Iris are firmly entrenched in my memories of phases and seasons going back to my sophomore year of high school. Still, every few months, I read one that voices to my current questions, desires, or sacrifices and I'm grateful.

Today is Good Friday. This prayer helps my "faith imagination," encouraging me to take hold of what's really possible in Christ. It is originally from People's Companion to the Breviary, Vol II. I read it in The Divine Hours: Prayers for Springtime.

"O God, you sent Christ Jesus to be my shepherd and the lamb of sacrifice. Help me to embrace the mystery of salvation, the promise of life rising out of death. Help me to hear the call of Christ and give me the courage to follow it readily that I, too, may lead others to you. This I ask through Jesus, my shepherd and guide."


No comments: