Wednesday, March 9, 2011

goal-making

For me, making goals is a matter of bravery. I fear failure. I asked my 9th graders the other day what they fear most and aside from 15 year old boy silliness ("I fear cellulite on old women in bathing suits"), that same boy said "I fear failure." Yeah, you and me both. And that is why I avoid making goals. Running through my mind right now are my to-do lists from my senior year of college with bullet point after bullet point of massive undertakings with little time or just enough time and not enough diligence.

I am ready to be courageous. Goal-making, here I come.

Goal #1
I want to put more effort into creating beautiful spaces. I don't have a track record of putting much thought into consistent organization (order in the unseen) or aesthetic pleasantries for my living spaces. I am challenged/inspired by friends
Andrea and Mary , coworkers, and blogs by people I don't know who will have more domestic success in a day than I'll have in a lifetime.

First steps for Goal 1:
1. In the classroom: Clearing out rubbermaid containers full of my materials I used over a month ago.
2. Picking up half my closet off the floor after my too-long endeavor to find the right outfit for the Mardi Gras party I attended last night. (First time celebrating Fat Tuesday and it was on a School Night!)

Goal #2
I want to grow herbs. Cilantro, basil, and mint.
Roadblock: I have a black thumb. Seriously can't keep anything alive. But I am determined to have success!

First steps for Goal 2: Buy pots. Buy seeds. Reread those how-to-grow-herbs articles.

Here is what I tell myself:
In the span of a year, I went from screwing up box brownies to cooking delicious meals for my family every week and baking cookies that have become just slightly infamous (for good reasons) in my little community, I can manage a little space-shaping and herb-nurturing.


2 comments:

Andrea said...

yes, yes, yes! i want to grow herbs, too! I killed them last year...went out of town and, well, they shriveled. hopefully better luck this year, though.

mary said...

hallie! you're so very sweet. i just found your blog and this post. :) hope you are well, friend! we'll be seeing you at k's wedding this june!